On Tuesday at around 4pm we were working away on the site/ answering emails when a crazed lady pounds on our door and yells, "the building is on fire. Get out!". Unfortunately, this is the second time we've heard this yelled at us while working at Fecal Face.
Thinking it was going to be another similar grab a few things, stand back while the SFFD do their thing, and in 30 minutes, we're back inside and back to work. Not this time. Not this time at all. We're out of the gallery and space there at 248 Fillmore for who knows how long till we're back in our beloved space next to our friends at Estela's and Three Twins.
Me on NBC channel 11 news Tuesday night. I was also on KTVU as well.
Anyone got a empty store front we can rent till ours in back and running? Please feel free to let us know: john(at)fecalface.com
Thinking we were possibly over reacting, we grad Damon Soule's paintings from the gallery walls and quickly try to figure out where we can take them as screaming fire trucks race to the scene. Luckily, our friend Mike Midden lives across the street and let us store the paintings there while we figure things out... Weird bangs and explosions above our heads/ breaking glass around us, we frantically grabbed art, laptops, cameras, etc.
Flames were shooting 6 feet out the corner apartment's window. Distant/ nearby sirens continued to descend to our corner of Haight and Fillmore. At one point, it became clear there was no going back inside as firemen broke down the door next to ours that leads to the stairway. A healthy crowd builds behind the yellow caution tape. We stand nervously watching the fire rage and build. Thick black smoke billows from the roof as the late afternoon breeze begins sweeping the flames across the building from one side to the next.
Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
Watching the flames lick the next building over, we hope that the massive amounts of water would somehow filter away from our ceilings as gallons and gallons of toxic fire water make their way down from the top floors.
After holding our breath for 30 minutes, we know there's nothing we can do but fret. It's determined that a strong beer is needed to calm frayed nerves. We had beers at Cafe Soleil where next to us sat a resident of the building also calming his nerves with a beer. We chat and hope that the fire/ smoke/ water damage escaped our places. It wasn't the case, at least for us.
Tip toeing around a web of fire hoses we avoid the raining water and enter the gallery where a rush of heat and smoke stink past our noses. Water is poring down in umpteen places from the ceiling as we trek across a foot of water on the floor in search for items/ art that may still be safe. Our cabinet contents were dry. Travis Millard's and Mel Kadel's work, which was probably in the only part of the back area that avoided water, was untouched, thank God (we built those shelves where the work sat just a month ago saving us from having to claim their art as a loss).
Thanks to Harley and everyone at Upper Playground and neighbors who formed a human chain to move items and art from the drenched gallery to Upper Playground's back room. A lot was saved and items that were ruined by the water damage can be replaced. Our disappointment by having to work from home is nothing compared to those who not only lost their apartments but their personal items as well. Thankfully no one was injured.. Animals were rescued and all will move on. We just hope that the contractors are building ninjas so we can get back in soon and we can get back to hosting shows.
Hopefully we're going to back in 248 Fillmore very soon... Anyone got a empty store front we can rent till ours in back and running? Please feel free to let us know: john(at)fecalface.com Thankfully we purchased a good insurance plan when we moved in which covers fire damage like this. SO glad we kept up with the payments.
That night My and Adam took our gallery plant Stretch home while the dust settles.
Back in the next day to see what was lost.
Natty and Jessica taking inventory.
More on the bummer here.